Calming the Storm
30 Days with Teresa of Avila
Part 2, Day 30 Reflections
Divine Intimacy Radio
Why does God allow suffering? St. Teresa helps us make sense of God’s role in our suffering. Join Dan and Melissa as they reflect on letters from St. Teresa from the book 30 Days with Teresa of Avila…and on calming the storm.
Topics/Questions covered in the show:
- Why does God “raise up storms” in our lives?
- What is the gift nobody wants?
- What should we do during times of consolation?
- How can we prepare for trials?
- Finding the sources of suffering in the Bible.
- How can we measure spiritual progress?
- Finding help in scriptures, sacraments, and saints in times of trials.
- What can happen to us if we fail to find purpose in suffering?
- 30 Days with Teresa of Avila – Dan Burke and Anthony Lilles
- Dr. Anthony Lilles
- Avila Institute for Spiritual Formation
- EWTN Religious Catalogue – online
- Embracing Suffering – 30 Days with Teresa of Avila – Day 30, Part 1
- The Discernment of Spirits – An Ignatian Guide for Everyday Living – Fr. Timothy M. Gallagher, O.M.V. (Oblate of the Virgin Mary)
- 14 Rules for Discerning of Spirits – Text from St. Ignatius with links to podcasts by Fr. Timothy Gallagher (in the blue box under his picture).
- Mark 4:35-41 – Calming of a storm at sea. – USCCB Bible link
- Psalms 107:23-32 – “Some went down to the sea in ships…” USCCB Bible link
- On Suffering – prose by Dan Burke, link
- Acts 5:40-41 – “After recalling the apostles, they had them flogged, ordered them to stop speaking in the name of Jesus, and dismissed them. So they left the presence of the Sanhedrin, rejoicing that they had been found worthy to suffer dishonor for the sake of the name.” – USCCB Bible link
- Matthew 7:13-14 – The Narrow Gate. – USCCB Bible link
- Romans 6:23 – “The wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.” – USCCB Bible link
- Romans 8:6 – “The concern of the flesh is death, but the concern of the spirit is life and peace.” – USCCB Bible link
- Finding God Through Meditation – St. Peter of Alcántara
- Finding God Through Meditation ebook – St. Peter of Alcántara
- 1 Thessalonians 5:23 – “May the God of peace himself make you perfectly holy and may you entirely, spirit, soul, and body, be preserved blameless for the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.” – USCCB Bible link
- Pilgrimage 2016 to Avila with Dan Burke and Teresa Tomeo (March 28 – April 4, 2016)
- To send questions about the 2016 Pilgrimage to Avila, click here: Questions@myavila.com
- For Call in questions for future shows 818-646-7729. Please leave your name, location, and question(s).
Don’t forget to tell your friends about the show and help us get the word out. If the show is inspiring to you and you would like to help us make it a daily show, please click here to donate. All donors will receive a signed copy of your choice of Dan’s books: Finding God through Meditation, 30 Days with Teresa of Avila, or Navigating the Interior Life.