30 Days with Teresa of Avila
Part 1, Day 30 Reflections
Divine Intimacy Radio
St. Teresa expresses joy when she learns of the persecution and suffering of the nuns of Seville and Fr. Gracian. Learn when and how to embrace suffering. Dan and Melissa reflect on letters from St. Teresa from the book 30 Days with Teresa of Avila, with particular emphasis on embracing suffering.
Topics/Questions covered in the show:
- What is the grace of suffering?
- Why does St. Teresa express joy in the suffering of others?
- How do saints view suffering?
- What can we learn from the saints’ response to suffering?
- How is it possible to feel deep grief and extreme joy simultaneously?
- The gift of being humbled.
- Suffering as an opportunity to grow closer to God.
- What are the fruits of suffering?
- Seeing suffering from a holy perspective.
- Using scripture as a tool to overcome difficulties.
- 30 Days with Teresa of Avila – Dan Burke and Anthony Lilles
- Dr. Anthony Lilles
- Avila Institute for Spiritual Formation
- EWTN Religious Catalogue – online
- Bearing Persecution – 30 Days with Teresa of Avila – Reflections on Day 29
- The Discernment of Spirits – An Ignatian Guide for Everyday Living – Fr. Timothy M. Gallagher, O.M.V. (Oblate of the Virgin Mary)
- 14 Rules for Discerning of Spirits – Text from St. Ignatius, with links to podcasts by Fr. Timothy Gallagher (in the blue box under his picture).
- 1 Corinthians 10:13 – “No trial [temptation] has come to you but what is human. God is faithful and will not let you be tried beyond your strength; but with the trial, he will also provide a way out, so that you may be able to bear it. – USCCB Bible link
- Philippians 4:8 – “Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is gracious, if there is any excellence and if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.” – USCCB Bible link
- Philippians 4:7 – “Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.”- USCCB Bible link
- 2 Corinthians 10:3-6 – “…take every thought captive in obedience to Christ…” – USCCB Bible link
- Romans 12:2 – “Do not conform yourselves to this age but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and pleasing and perfect.” – USCCB Bible link
- Romans 8:5 – “For those who live according to the flesh are concerned with the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the spirit with the things of the spirit.” – USCCB Bible link
- 1 Thessalonians 5:23 – “May the God of peace himself make you perfectly holy and may you entirely, spirit, soul, and body, be preserved blameless for the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.” – USCCB Bible link
- Pilgrimage 2016 to Avila with Dan Burke and Teresa Tomeo (March 28 – April 4, 2016)
- To send questions about the 2016 Pilgrimage to Avila, click here: Questions@myavila.com
- For Call in questions for future shows 818-646-7729. Please leave your name, location, and question(s).
Don’t forget to tell your friends about the show and help us get the word out. If the show is inspiring to you and you would like to help us make it a daily show, please click here to donate. All donors will receive a signed copy of your choice of Dan’s books: Finding God through Meditation, 30 Days with Teresa of Avila, or Navigating the Interior Life.