30 Days with Teresa of Avila
Part 2, Day 28 Reflections
Divine Intimacy Radio
St. Teresa reveals the secrets to working through and surviving suffering. Dan and Melissa continue their discussion of St. Teresa’s letter of consolation to her friend Doña Maria de Mendoza from the book 30 Days with Teresa of Avila.
Topics/Questions covered in the show:
- How can we condition ourselves spiritually to withstand trials?
- How can we help and be helped through spiritual friendships?
- What does love of neighbor really mean?
- Can our own suffering be used to help another?
- Using suffering to grow spiritually.
- What does St. Ignatius teach us about dealing with suffering?
- Can how we deal with suffering lead to sin? How to avoid this.
- How do we identify our root sin? How can we combat it?
- Using the Examen Prayer.
- 30 Days with Teresa of Avila – Dan Burke and Anthony Lilles
- Dr. Anthony Lilles
- Avila Institute for Spiritual Formation
- Joy in Suffering – 30 Days with Teresa of Avila – Reflections on Day 28, Part I
- Divine Intimacy – Fr. Gabriel of St. Mary Magdalen
- Matthew 22:35-40 – The Greatest Commandment – USCCB Bible link
- Mark 12:28-34 – The Greatest Commandment – USCCB Bible link
- Philippians 4:8-9 – “Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable…think about these things.” – USCCB Bible link
- The Discernment of Spirits – An Ignatian Guide for Everyday Living – Fr. Timothy M. Gallagher, O.M.V. (Oblate of the Virgin Mary)
- 14 Rules for Discerning of Spirits – Text from St. Ignatius with links to podcasts by Fr. Timothy Gallagher
- Romans 8:18 – “…the suffering of this present time…” – USCCB Bible link
- Romans 8:26-27 – “In the same way, the Spirit too comes to the aid of our weakness…” – USCCB Bible link
- Romans 8:6 – “The concern of the flesh is death, but the concern of the spirit is life and peace.” – USCCB Bible link
- 2 Corinthians 1:3-7 – “Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies, and the God of all comfort…” Bible Gateway, Douay-Rheims link online
- 2 Corinthians 7:10 – “For godly sorrow produces a salutary repentance without regret, but worldly sorrow produces death.” – USCCB Bible link
- Romans 12:2 – “Do not conform yourselves to this age but be transformed by the renewal of your mind…” – USCCB Bible link
- Daily Examen Prayer Guide – Avila Institute via spiritualdirection.com
- Pilgrimage 2016 to Avila with Dan Burke and Teresa Tomeo (March 28 – April 4, 2016)
- To send questions about the 2016 Pilgrimage to Avila, click here: Questions@myavila.com
- For Call in questions for future shows 818-646-7729. Please leave your name, location, and question(s).
Don’t forget to tell your friends about the show and help us get the word out. If the show is inspiring to you and you would like to help us make it a daily show, please click here to donate. All donors will receive a signed copy of your choice of Dan’s books: Finding God through Meditation, 30 Days with Teresa of Avila, or Navigating the Interior Life.