Joy in Suffering
30 Days with Teresa of Avila
Part 1, Day 28 Reflections
Divine Intimacy Radio
In the midst of her own suffering, St. Teresa “lifts the eyes” of Doña Maria de Mendoza who is experiencing trials. St. Teresa consoles her friend by helping her to understand God’s role in her suffering. Dan and Melissa discuss joy in suffering, suffering, emotions, and acts of the will as they reflect on letters from St. Teresa in the book 30 Days with Teresa of Avila.
Topics/Questions covered in the show:
- How to identify the saint who can best help you in your spiritual life.
- Can you actually feel joy in the midst of your trials?
- Can you prepare yourself in advance for suffering?
- What are some things that hinder our spiritual growth?
- Can we recognize the value in our suffering?
- Does joy in suffering require an act of the will, or is it a gift?
- How does suffering aid in spiritual growth?
- How do “victim souls” participate in Jesus suffering and salvation of the world?
- Understanding that the suffering that God allows is for our salvation.
- 30 Days with Teresa of Avila – Dan Burke and Anthony Lilles
- Dr. Anthony Lilles
- Avila Institute for Spiritual Formation
- The Book of Her Life – Teresa of Avila
- The Interior Castle Study Edition
- National Review Online – Kathryn Jean Lopez interviews Dan Burke
- Colossians 1:24 – “Now I rejoice in my sufferings…” USCCB link
- Acts 5:41 – “So they left the presence of the Sanhedrin, rejoicing that they had bene found worthy to suffer dishonor for the sake of the name.” USCCB link
- The Living Flame of Love – St. John of the Cross
- 2 Corinthians 1:3-7 – “Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies, and the God of all comfort…” Bible Gateway, Douay-Rheims link online
- Mark 9:24 – “I do believe, help my unbelief!” USCCB Bible online
- Pilgrimage 2016 to Avila with Dan Burke and Teresa Tomeo (March 28 – April 4, 2016)
- To send questions about the 2016 Pilgrimage to Avila, click here: Questions@myavila.com
- For Call in questions for future shows 818-646-7729. Please leave your name, location, and question(s).
Click on the links below to listen to the show! Don’t forget to tell your friends about the show and help us get the word out. If the show is inspiring to you and you would like to help us make it a daily show, please click here to donate. All donors will receive a signed copy of your choice of Dan’s books: Finding God through Meditation, 30 Days with Teresa of Avila, or Navigating the Interior Life. Click HERE for mobile devices or on the links below to listen to the show: