Discernment of Spirits
30 Days with Teresa of Avila
Day 24 Reflections
Divine Intimacy Radio
How can we determine if our crosses are the work of God or the work of the enemy? Dan and Melissa discuss discernment of spirits and St. Teresa’s spiritual advice to a friend in a letter from the book 30 Days with Teresa of Avila.
Topics/Questions covered in the show:
- Why does God answer our prayers with trials and suffering?
- Can the work of the enemy be mistaken for the work of God?
- How can we tell if a trial is the work of God and not the work of the devil?
- Some tools for discernment: daily examen, spiritual direction, St. Ignatius’ Rules of Discernment.
- Can an action that seems to be in service to God be inspired by the enemy?
- How and why are advanced souls more at risk of attacks from the devil?
- Moderation in spiritual life in St. Teresa’s time contrasted with modern society.
- 30 Days with Teresa of Avila – Dan Burke and Anthony Lilles
- EWTN Religious Catalogue – Online
- 1 Corinthians 10:13 – USCCB Bible link “God is faithful and will not let you be tried beyond your strength…”
- 14 Rules for Discerning of Spirits – Text from St. Ignatius with links to podcasts by Fr. Timothy Gallagher
- Divine Office – Liturgy of the Hours – Online
- http://avila-institute.org – The Avila Institute for Spiritual Formation
- Daily Examen – Prayer Guide from The Avila Institute
- The Collected Works of St. John of the Cross – Kavanaugh and Rodrigues. Contains Dark Night of the Soul.
- For Call in questions for future shows 818-646-7729. Please leave your name, location, and question(s).
Don’t forget to tell your friends about the show and help us get the word out. If the show is inspiring to you and you would like to help us make it a daily show, please click here to donate. All donors will receive a signed copy of your choice of Dan’s books: Finding God through Meditation, 30 Days with Teresa of Avila, or Navigating the Interior Life.