WHAT IS PRAYER?
How does one get started in mental prayer? What are the important elements to having a good prayer life? Dan and Melissa take on complexities of answering the question “What is prayer?” as they discuss the book Finding God Through Meditation by St Peter of Alcántara.
Topics/Questions covered in the show:
- Answers to the question “What is prayer?”
- How does Jesus’ humanity help to orient us to God the Father and The Blessed Trinity?
- Why prayer is so much more than “asking for stuff” or doing religious acts that are in some way meritorious or good.
- Is the recitation of all vocal prayer always actual prayer?
- How prayer keeps us away from sin.
- About methods of prayer.
- What does it mean to call something “sacred”?
- Three important elements for starting a good prayer life.
- Why is it important to dedicate a set time for prayer?
- Some advise for setting up a sacred space for prayer in your home.
- How do our surroundings help to orient us toward God?
- Keeping our minds attentive during prayer.
- Finding God Through Meditation – St. Peter of Alcántara
- Finding God Through Meditation ebook – St. Peter of Alcántara
- Avila Institute for Spiritual Formation
- EWTN Religious Catalogue – online
- The Interior Castle Study Edition
- Matthew 7:13-14 – The Narrow Gate [The Narrow Way] – USCCB Bible link
- Isaiah 55:8 – “For my thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are your ways my ways—oracle of the LORD.” – USCCB Bible link
- John 14:8,9 – “Show us the Father…Whoever has seen me has seen the Father” – USCCB Bible link
- John 10:30 – “The Father and I are one” – USCCB Bible link
- Luke 21:34-36 – “Beware that your hearts do not become drowsy from carousing and drunkenness and the anxieties of daily life, and that day catch you by surprise like a trap. For that day will assault everyone who lives on the face of the earth. Be vigilant at all times and pray that you have the strength to escape the tribulations that are imminent and to stand before the Son of Man.” USCCB Bible link
- Onething 2015 – Dan Burke speaking engagement, along with Audrey Assad, in Kansas City (Dec. 28-31, 2015)
- Matthew 6:5-8 – Teaching about prayer – USCCB Bible link
- How do I Set Up a Home Altar? – post on spiritualdirection.com
- St Marie of Jesus Crucified
- Catechism of the Catholic Church – Part 4, Section 1, Chapter 3, Article 1, Section II: Meditation
- Benediction of the Blessed Sacrament – New Advent link
- The Divine Praises – prayer
- How to pray the Rosary – New Advent link
- 1 Thessalonians 5:23 – “May the God of peace himself make you perfectly holy and may you entirely, spirit, soul, and body, be preserved blameless for the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.” – USCCB Bible link
- For Call in questions for future shows 818-646-7729. Please leave your name, location and question(s).
Click on the links below to listen to the show! Don’t forget to tell your friends about the show and help us get the word out. If the show is inspiring to you and you would like to help us make it a daily show, please click here to donate. All donors will receive a signed copy of your choice of Dan’s books: Finding God through Meditation, 30 Days with Teresa of Avila, or Navigating the Interior Life. Click HERE for mobile devices or on the links below to listen to the show: