Heights of Prayer
30 Days with Teresa of Avila
Part 1, Day 26 Reflections
Divine Intimacy Radio
In today’s episode on the heights of prayer, St. Teresa describes her spiritual ecstasies and how they caused her distress. Dan and Melissa talk about how everyone is called to the heights of holiness as they read from St. Teresa’s letter to her brother from the book 30 Days with Teresa of Avila.
Topics/Questions covered in the show:
- Is there a universal call to holiness?
- Can everyone reach the advanced stages of prayer that the saints do?
- How do lay people reach the heights of holiness? What should they do when they get there?
- What is the evidence of authentic prayer?
- Is spiritual aridity normal? Where does it come from?
- How should we deal with periods of aridity and consolation?
- How the marital experience is like the spiritual life.
- What is the measure of spiritual progress?
- 30 Days with Teresa of Avila – Dan Burke and Anthony Lilles
- EWTN Religious Catalogue – Online
- Dr. Anthony Lilles
- Psalm 107:23-32 – USCCB Bible link
- Acts 2:15-17 – USCCB Bible link
- Joel 3:1-2 – USCCB Bible link (This is Joel 2:28 in the Douay-Rheims Bible)
- Lumen Gentium (Vatican Council II document) Chapter V – Universal Call to Holiness
- Real Men Pray the Rosary – David Calvillo Website
- Pelagianism – New Advent link
- Voluntarism – New Advent link
- http://avila-institute.org – Avila Institute for Spiritual Formation
- Dan Burke’s Speaking and Events – Link at Spiritual Direction.com
- 1 Thessalonians 5:23 – USCCB Bible Link
- Join us on a Pilgrimage to Spain in 2016 – Link to the pilgrimage Dan mentions.
- Editor’s note: Click here to listen to Part 2 and see the show notes for it.
- For Call in questions for future shows 818-646-7729. Please leave your name, location, and question(s).
Don’t forget to tell your friends about the show and help us get the word out. If the show is inspiring to you and you would like to help us make it a daily show, please click here to donate. All donors will receive a signed copy of your choice of Dan’s books: Finding God through Meditation, 30 Days with Teresa of Avila, or Navigating the Interior Life.