Description: This week, Dan and Melissa discuss Saint Ignatius’ Discernment of Spirits: Rule 8 and his exhortation to work at achieving patience during desolation, looking ahead to the inevitable end of our suffering and returning to consolation with God.
Topics/Questions covered in the show:
- Eighth Rule. “Let him who is in desolation labor to be in patience, which is contrary to the vexations which come to him: and let him think that he will soon be consoled, employing against the desolation the devices, as is said in the sixth Rule.What is desolation?”
- We must work to be patient. It is not easy.
- How can we practice patience?
- How does the enemy trick us into believing we must make a change in our spiritual lives?
- How does one cope with long term experiences of desolation such as terminal illness?
- Saint Ignatius suggests that we insist upon prayer, meditation, much examination and extending ourselves in penance.
- Spiritualdirection.com – website
- EWTN Global Catholic Radio
- Avila Institute for Spiritual Formation
- EWTN Religious Catalogue – online
- The Discernment of Spirits by Father Timothy Gallagher, O.M.V.
- James 4:7-8 “Resist the devil and he will flee from you. Draw near to God and He will draw near to you.” (USCCB Bible link)
- The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran
- Fire from Above by Dr. Anthony Lilles
What is Divine Intimacy Radio?
The Divine Intimacy Radio Show is a haven of rest and wellspring of spiritual life for those seeking intimacy with God and the enlightened path of Catholic mystical and ascetical wisdom.
Every week, Dan Burke and Melissa Elson explore topics related to the interior life and Catholic teaching, including prayer, spiritual direction, meditation, contemplation, and holiness.
Divine Intimacy Radio Show and EWTN!
This radio show can also be heard every Sunday on EWTN Radio Sundays at 6:30 am, 1:30 pm, and 11:00 pm Eastern time. We are grateful to EWTN for their support!
- Questions? Send an e-mail to Questions@myavila.com or call 818-646-7729. Please leave your name, location, and question(s).
Click on the links below to listen to the show! Don’t forget to tell your friends about the show and help us get the word out. Click HERE for mobile devices or on the links below to listen to the show: