Discernment of Spirits: Rule 2
Dan and Melissa discuss the second rule of Saint Ignatius of Loyola’s Discernment of Spirits, focusing on movement toward God and recognizing the effect of the enemy on our spiritual progress.
Topics/Questions covered in the show:
- Discernment of Spirits – Rule 2: “In persons who are going on intensely purifying their sins and rising from good to better in the service of God our Lord, the method is contrary to that in the first rule. For then it is proper to the evil spirit to bite, sadden and place obstacles, disquieting with false reasons, so that the person may not go forward. And it is proper to the good spirit to give courage and strength, consolations, tears, inspirations, and quiet, easing and taking away all obstacles, so that the person may go forward in doing good.”
- When confronted with temptation it is important to recognize the thoughts pushing us toward sin are from the “bad spirit” who seeks to disrupt our spiritual progress.
- Using an examination of conscience at the end of the day can make us more acutely aware of our daily sins and successes.
- God is always drawing us to Himself, but we must recognize His work in our souls through the world around us.
- SpiritualDirection.com – website
- EWTN Global Catholic Radio
- Avila Institute for Spiritual Formation
- EWTN Religious Catalogue – online
- The Discernment of Spirits: An Ignatian Guide for Everyday Living by Father Timothy Gallagher, O.M.V. (Oblates of the Virgin Mary)
- Navigating the Interior Life by Dan Burke
- The Examen Prayer: Ignatian Wisdom for Our Lives Today by Father Timothy Gallagher, O.M.V. (Oblates of the Virgin Mary)
- Ephesians 5:14 – “Awake, O sleeper and arise from the dead, and Christ will give you light.” USCCB Bible link
What is Divine Intimacy Radio?
The Divine Intimacy Radio Show is a haven of rest and wellspring of spiritual life for those seeking intimacy with God and the enlightened path of Catholic mystical and ascetical wisdom.
Every week, Dan Burke and Melissa Elson explore topics related to the interior life and Catholic teaching, including prayer, spiritual direction, meditation, contemplation, and holiness.
Divine Intimacy Radio Show and EWTN!
This radio show can also be heard every Sunday on EWTN Radio Sundays at 6:30 am, 1:30 pm, and 11:00 pm Eastern time. We are grateful to EWTN for their support!
- Questions? Send an e-mail to Questions@myavila.com or call 818-646-7729. Please leave your name, location, and question(s).
Click on the links below to listen to the show! Don’t forget to tell your friends about the show and help us get the word out. Click HERE for mobile devices or on the links below to listen to the show: