Easter and the Resurrection
Easter is upon us! Rejoice in the triumph of Christ! On this edition of Divine Intimacy Radio, Dan and Melissa discuss Easter and the Resurrection: the glory of the Resurrection and the dramatic changes it brought about in the lives of Christ’s disciples.
Topics/Questions covered in the show:
- The Apostles rejoiced when they were persecuted for the sake of Christ.
- Easter as a foreshadowing of Heaven.
- How do we find joy in suffering?
- Two things necessary to access God – humility and grace.
- The Gospels examined by the standards of legal evidence.
- The Apostles after the Resurrection: Who would die for a lie?
- What if we all had a “spiritual dashboard”?
- EWTN Global Catholic Radio
- Avila Institute for Spiritual Formation
- Acts 5:40-42 – “After recalling the apostles, they had them flogged, ordered them to stop speaking in the name of Jesus, and dismissed them. So they left the presence of the Sanhedrin, rejoicing that they had been found worthy to suffer dishonor for the sake of the name. And all day long, both at the temple and in their homes, they did not stop teaching and proclaiming the Messiah, Jesus.”
- Divine Intimacy – Fr Gabriel of St Mary Magdalen: #142 “Whom Seek You?” wherein Fr Gabriel reflects on Mary Magdalene and the stone rolled away at the empty tomb.
- Mark 16:1-8 – The Resurrection of Jesus
- 1 Corinthians 15:5-8 – “… he appeared to Cephas, then to the Twelve. After that, he appeared to more than five hundred brothers at once…After that, he appeared to James, then to all the apostles. Last of all…he appeared to me [Paul].”
- The Testimony of the Evangelists: The Gospels Examined by the Rules of Evidence – Simon Greenleaf
- Matthew 16:21-23 – “From that time on, Jesus began to show his disciples that he must go to Jerusalem and suffer greatly from the elders, the chief priests, and the scribes, and be killed and on the third day be raised. Then Peter took him aside and began to rebuke him, ‘God forbid, Lord! No such thing shall ever happen to you.’ He turned and said to Peter, ‘Get behind me, Satan! You are an obstacle to me. You are thinking not as God does, but as human beings do.'”
- John 21:18-19 – Jesus hints at the manner in which Peter will die. “‘…Amen, amen, I say to you, when you were younger, you used to dress yourself and go where you wanted; but when you grow old, you will stretch out your hands, and someone else will dress you and lead you where you do not want to go.’ He said this signifying by what kind of death he would glorify God. And when he had said this, he said to him, ‘Follow me.'”
- John 20:27-29 – “Then he said to Thomas, ‘Put your finger here and see my hands, and bring your hand and put it into my side, and do not be unbelieving, but believe.’ Thomas answered and said to him, ‘My Lord and my God!’ Jesus said to him, ‘Have you come to believe because you have seen me? Blessed are those who have not seen and have believed.'”
- Dark Night of the Soul – St John of the Cross
- National Catholic Register
- St Teresa of Avila’s Vision of Prayer – Dan Burke speaking event in Darien, CT, on April 5, 2016
- Host an Event – link on SpiritualDirection.com
- Aspen Catholic presents: ‘Encountering Mercy’ – Speaking event with Dan Burke, Dr Jonathan Reyes, and Dr Anthony Lilles in Aspen, CO, May 13-15, 2016
- 1 Thessalonians 5:23 – “May the God of peace himself make you perfectly holy and may you entirely, spirit, soul, and body, be preserved blameless for the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.” – USCCB Bible link
- Questions? Send an e-mail to Questions@myavila.com or call 818-646-7729. Please leave your name, location, and question(s).
Don’t forget to tell your friends about the show and help us get the word out. If the show is inspiring to you and you would like to help us make it a daily show, please click here to donate. All donors will receive a signed copy of your choice of Dan’s books: Finding God through Meditation, 30 Days with Teresa of Avila, or Navigating the Interior Life.