30 Days with Teresa of Avila
Day 29 Reflections
Divine Intimacy Radio
Are we bearing persecution in the right way? Learn from a saint how to respond to persecution. St. Teresa advises a Carmelite nun to avoid the temptation to indulge in righteous indignation in response to an accusation. Dan and Melissa reflect on letters from St. Teresa from the book 30 Days with Teresa of Avila.
Topics/Questions covered in the show:
- Does God provide ways to escape temptations?
- How does the enemy work to accuse people, especially those striving for holiness?
- Should we actually desire the difficulties we encounter in life? Why?
- How can we deal with persecutions in a way that will help us progress spiritually?
- Is it possible to accept persecutions with peace? Can we actually embrace them?
- How do saints deal with persecutions?
- What can we learn from how Jesus dealt with persecutions?
- How should we respond to someone persecuting us?
- Using scripture to help endure persecution.
- 30 Days with Teresa of Avila – Dan Burke and Anthony Lilles
- Dr. Anthony Lilles
- Avila Institute for Spiritual Formation
- EWTN Religious Catalogue – online
- Navigating the Interior Life – Dan Burke
- Prayer to St. Michael – spiritualdirection.com link
- The Dialogue of St. Catherine of Siena – amazon.com
- Daily Examen Prayer Guide – Avila Institute via spiritualdirection.com
- Matthew 14:22-33 – Peter stepped out on the water – USCCB Bible link
- 2 Kings 2:12 – “My father! my father! – Israel’s chariot and steeds!” – USCCB Bible link
- Matthew 6:34 – “Sufficient for a day is its own evil.” – USCCB Bible link
- 1 Corinthians 10:13 – “No trial [temptation] has come to you but what is human. God is faithful and will not let you be tried beyond your strength; but with the trial he will also provide a way out, so that you may be able to bear it. – USCCB Bible link
- Hebrews 4:15 – “For we have a high priest…who has similarly been tested in every way…” – USCCB Bible link
- Mark 5:1-20 – Christ sends demons into pigs – USCCB Bible link
- Matthew 8:28-31 – Christ sends demons into pigs – USCCB Bible link
- 1 Peter 2:24 – “He himself bore our sins…” – USCCB Bible link
- Luke 23:34 – “Father, forgive them, they know not what they do.” – USCCB Bible link
- Philippians 4:7 – “Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.”
- 2 Corinthians 10:3-6 – “…take every thought captive in obedience to Christ…” – USCCB Bible link
- 1 Thessalonians 5:23 – “May the God of peace himself make you perfectly holy and may you entirely, spirit, soul, and body, be preserved blameless for the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.” – USCCB Bible link
- Pilgrimage 2016 to Avila with Dan Burke and Teresa Tomeo (March 28 – April 4, 2016)
- To send questions about the 2016 Pilgrimage to Avila, click here: Questions@myavila.com
- For Call in questions for future shows 818-646-7729. Please leave your name, location, and question(s).
Don’t forget to tell your friends about the show and help us get the word out. If the show is inspiring to you and you would like to help us make it a daily show, please click here to donate. All donors will receive a signed copy of your choice of Dan’s books: Finding God through Meditation, 30 Days with Teresa of Avila, or Navigating the Interior Life.