Questions on Prayer Part 1
Do you have questions on prayer? What causes aridity in prayer? Dan and Melissa discuss the topics of aridity and distractions in prayer. They also share some important aspects of their personal prayer routines and what they have learned in life about prayer in “Questions on Prayer Part 1”.
Topics/Questions covered in the show:
- How can we fight the feeling of not being engaged when we pray?
- In what way is the soul like the weather?
- What are some causes of aridity in prayer?
- Dan shares some specific aspects of his personal prayer life.
- Looking for God in our everyday life.
- Prayer as a commitment to God.
- What part do the sacraments play in prayer life?
- Avila Institute for Spiritual Formation
- Philippians 4:6-7 – “Have no anxiety at all, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God. Then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.” – USCCB Bible link
- Liturgy of the Hours – about. New Advent link
- iBreviary (iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, Android, Kindle Fire, Windows Phone 7, Blackberry, mobile version, widgets): Contains the Liturgy of the Hours and also all the readings from the Mass
- How do I Set Up a Home Altar? – post on SpiritualDirection.com
- 30 Days with Teresa of Avila – Dan Burke and Anthony Lilles
- The Interior Castle Study Edition
- Keeping Faith Alive During Life’s Dark Nights – Series of posts on SpiritualDirection.com by the Carmelite Sisters of the Most Sacred Heart of Los Angeles
- Daily Examen Prayer Guide – Avila Institute via spiritualdirection.com
- True Devotion to Mary: with Preparation for Total Consecration – St Louis de Montfort
- EWTN – Global Catholic Network
- 1 Thessalonians 5:23 – “May the God of peace himself make you perfectly holy and may you entirely, spirit, soul, and body, be preserved blameless for the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.” – USCCB Bible link
- Click here for part 2 of questions on prayer!
- Questions? Send an e-mail to Questions@myavila.com or call 818-646-7729. Please leave your name, location, and question(s).
Don’t forget to tell your friends about the show and help us get the word out. If the show is click here to donate. All donors will receive a signed copy of your choice of Dan’s books: Finding God through Meditation, 30 Days with Teresa of Avila, or Navigating the Interior Life.