Centering Prayer and the Necessity of Prayer
What is “centering prayer”? Can it lead to contemplation? Do I need to pray to be saved? Dan and Melissa discuss the necessity of prayer and answer these questions and more as they reflect on the book Finding God Through Meditation by St Peter of Alcántara.
Topics/Questions covered in the show:
- Is contemplation the same thing as centering prayer?
- Can contemplation be attained or prepared for through the centering prayer method?
- What does the Catholic Church say about centering prayer?
- What’s wrong with the concept of “letting thoughts go”?
- Is prayer necessary for salvation?
- What does St Bonaventure say about prayer?
- How do I become holy?
- How does mental prayer help keep us on “the narrow way” to holiness?
- Prayer as a means of keeping our spiritual vision clear.
- Does a life of faith without prayer make any sense?
- Finding God Through Meditation – St. Peter of Alcántara
- Finding God Through Meditation ebook – St. Peter of Alcántara
- Avila Institute for Spiritual Formation
- EWTN Religious Catalogue – online
- Can Centering Prayer be Redeemed? – Post on spiritualdirection.com by Dan Burke
- Infused Contemplation – Definition, post on spiritualdirection.com
- The Vatican on Christian Meditation and Centering Prayer – Post on spritualdirection.com
- Navigating the Interior Life (for the book in Spanish: Navegando La Vida Interior — click here) – Dan Burke
- The Buddha Pill: Can Meditation Change You? – Miguel Farias and Catherine Wikholm
- Matthew 7:13-14 – The Narrow Gate (The Narrow Way)- USCCB Bible link
- Lectio Divina, A Guide: What It Is & How It Helps Prayer Life – Post on spiritual direction.com
- Onething 2015 – Dan Burke speaking engagement, along with Audrey Assad, in Kansas City (Dec. 28-31, 2015)
- 1 Thessalonians 5:23 – “May the God of peace himself make you perfectly holy and may you entirely, spirit, soul, and body, be preserved blameless for the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.” – USCCB Bible link
- For Call in questions for future shows 818-646-7729. Please leave your name, location and question(s).
Click on the links below to listen to the show! Don’t forget to tell your friends about the show and help us get the word out. If the show is inspiring to you and you would like to help us make it a daily show, please click here to donate. All donors will receive a signed copy of your choice of Dan’s books: Finding God through Meditation, 30 Days with Teresa of Avila, or Navigating the Interior Life. Click HERE for mobile devices or on the links below to listen to the show: