St Peter of Alcantara and the Importance of Prayer
Who was St Peter of Alcántara? What did he have to say about prayer? Join Dan and Melissa as they begin a discussion of his book Finding God Through Meditation, and answer a question from a listener about prayer.
Topics/Questions covered in the show:
- Do I really need to set aside a specific time for prayer every day?
- How do ascetical practices help us in prayer?
- Can we train our bodies to aid in our prayer lives?
- Why is morning the best time to devote to prayer?
- What if we don’t have time for prayer in the morning?
- What is Lectio Divina?
- Ways to get our minds oriented toward God.
- Does God call us to prayer? How do we recognize His call?
- What’s the difference between duty and devotion when it comes to prayer?
- How does spiritual reading improve our spiritual life?
- How did St. Teresa of Avila use the teaching of St Peter?
- Some background on the life of St Peter.
- Next time: Introduction to the book Finding God Through Meditation; and why St Peter is relevant today.
- Finding God Through Meditation – St Peter of Alcántara
- Finding God Through Meditation ebook – St Peter of Alcántara
- Avila Institute for Spiritual Formation
- EWTN Religious Catalogue – online
- 30 Days with Teresa of Avila – Dan Burke and Anthony Lilles
- Dr. Anthony Lilles
- The Book of Her Life – Teresa of Avila
- The Four Waters of Prayer, Part II of II – Post on spiritualdirection.com by the Carmelite Sisters of the Most Sacred Heart of Los Angeles
- First-Fruits – New Advent link
- Lectio Divina, A Guide – spiritualdirection.com post by Dan Burke
- Psalm 63 – “O God, you are my God—it is you I seek! For you my body yearns; for you my soul thirsts…” – USCCB Bible link
- 1 Thessalonians 5:23 – “May the God of peace himself make you perfectly holy and may you entirely, spirit, soul, and body, be preserved blameless for the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.” – USCCB Bible link
- Pilgrimage 2016 to Avila with Dan Burke and Teresa Tomeo (March 28 – April 4, 2016)
- Onething 2015 – Dan Burke speaking engagement, Kansas City (Dec. 28-31)
- To send questions about the 2016 Pilgrimage to Avila, click here: Questions@myavila.com
- For Call in questions for future shows 818-646-7729 Please leave your name, location and question(s).
Don’t forget to tell your friends about the show and help us get the word out. If the show is inspiring to you and you would like to help us make it a daily show, please click here to donate. All donors will receive a signed copy of your choice of Dan’s books: Finding God through Meditation, 30 Days with Teresa of Avila, or Navigating the Interior Life.