Join Dan Burke and Melissa Elson as they answer questions from listeners about distractions in prayer, contemplative aridity, and the importance of self-knowledge in overcoming sin.
Topics/Questions Covered in the Show:
- What should we do if we feel guilty when we get distracted while spending time in mental prayer?
- Is contemplation the same as meditation?
- How important are short prayers throughout the day?
- What if memories occupy your mind during prayer? Are those thoughts from God?
- How necessary is it to know your temperament to overcome sin?
- How can one overcome contemplative aridity?
- Are prayers of penance or reparation particularly important to contemplative prayer?
- What is the best way to start a prayer routine?
- Spiritualdirection.com – website
- EWTN Global Catholic Radio
- Avila Institute for Spiritual Formation
- EWTN Religious Catalogue – online
- Into the Deep by Dan Burke
- Aspirations Rising Up Like Incense to God – post on SpiritualDirection.com
- 1 Thessalonians 5:23 – USCCB Bible link
- Questions? Send an e-mail to Questions@myavila.com or call 818-646-7729. Please leave your name, location, and question(s).
What is Divine Intimacy Radio?
The Divine Intimacy Radio Show is a haven of rest and wellspring of spiritual life for those people seeking intimacy with God and the enlightened path of Catholic mystical and ascetical wisdom. Every week our co-hosts Dan Burke and Melissa Elson explore topics related to the interior life and Catholic teaching, including prayer, spiritual direction, meditation, contemplation, and holiness.
Divine Intimacy Radio Show and EWTN!
This radio show can also be heard every Sunday on EWTN Radio, Sundays at 6:30 am, 1:30 pm, and 11:00 pm Eastern time. We are grateful to EWTN for their support!