Mortification and Self-Denial
Description: Today Dan and Melissa talk about mortification and how we can love God more fully by denying ourselves of earthly things.
Topics/Questions covered in the show:
- What does St. Teresa of Avila mean when she says, “Prayer and a comfortable life do not go together”?
- What does it mean to take up our cross in the midst of all of the comfort we experience?
- We are called to embrace the cross, which is the ultimate act of self-giving.
- What is mortification?
- Once we are detached from earthly things, we are free to love God in a more pure way.
- When we are not mortifying ourselves, our appetites begin to rule us.
- Why are little, daily, physical mortifications helpful in the spiritual life?
What is a “rule of life” and how does this help incorporate mortification into our lives?
- Spiritualdirection.com – website
- EWTN Global Catholic Radio
- Avila Institute for Spiritual Formation
- EWTN Religious Catalogue – online
- Into the Deep – Finding Peace Through Prayer by Dan Burke
- The Contemplative Rosary by Dan Burke and Connie Rossini
- Questions? Send an e-mail to Questions@myavila.com or call 818-646-7729. Please leave your name, location, and question(s).
What is Divine Intimacy Radio?
The Divine Intimacy Radio Show is a haven of rest and wellspring of spiritual life for those seeking intimacy with God and the enlightened path of Catholic mystical and ascetical wisdom. Every week, Dan Burke and Melissa Elson explore topics related to the interior life and Catholic teaching, including prayer, spiritual direction, meditation, contemplation, and holiness.
Divine Intimacy Radio Show and EWTN!
This radio show can also be heard every Sunday on EWTN Radio, Sundays at 6:30 am, 1:30 pm, and 11:00 pm Eastern time. We are grateful to EWTN for their support!
Please click on the links below to listen to this week’s show! Don’t forget to tell your friends about the show and help us get the word out. Click HERE for mobile devices or on the links below to listen to the show: