What was Catholicism like in colonial America? Join Dan Burke and Melissa Elson as they speak with Fr. Charles Connor about his book Pioneer Priests and Makeshift Altars, to unveil the plight of Catholics who ventured to the New World.
Topics/Questions Covered in the Show:
- What was the religious climate like in England and America during the founding of the 13 colonies?
- Why does Maryland have a Catholic history?
- What caused such intolerance towards Catholics in the colonies?
- Were the founding fathers of the United States anti-Catholic?
- How does the history of Catholics in early America pertain to our country’s current secularized, anti-Christian culture?
- Spiritualdirection.com – website
- Avila Institute for Spiritual Formation
- Sophia Institute Press
- Pioneer Priests and Makeshift Altars by Fr. Charles Connor
- Questions? Send an e-mail to Questions@myavila.com or call 818-646-7729. Please leave your name, location, and question(s).
What is Divine Intimacy Radio?
The Divine Intimacy Radio Show is a haven of rest and wellspring of spiritual life for those seeking intimacy with God and the enlightened path of Catholic mystical and ascetical wisdom.
Twice a week, Dan Burke and Melissa Elson explore topics related to the interior life and Catholic teaching. On Tuesdays, they interview various authors about their spiritual books and about the authors’ own insights on those books. On Fridays, they get specific on subjects which primarily include prayer, spiritual direction, meditation, contemplation, and holiness.
Please click on the links below to listen to today’s show! Don’t forget to tell your friends and your family about the show and help us get the word out. Click HERE for mobile devices or on the links below to listen to the show: