Description: What happens to a holy soul during the “dark night”? Today, Dan, Melissa and Dr. Anthony Lilles explore the meaning of the “dark night of the soul” and St. Thérèse’s experience transitioning to a deeper union with God.
Topics/Questions covered in the show:
- How is St. Thérèse’s description of “the dark night of the soul” similar to that of St. John of the Cross?
- What are the stages of the spiritual life? What stage is St. Thérèse experiencing?
- We must pass through this “dark night” in order to progress from one stage to the next.
- St. Thérèse has complete trust in God even though she cannot sense His presence in her life at this point.
- Many lose faith or become discouraged during this stage, but St. Thérèse is committed to her Lord. She never loses trust in Him.
- How can we have peace while in this transition stage?
- How can we make progress spiritually while in this transition stage?
Resources for this week’s show:
- Spiritualdirection.com – website
- EWTN Global Catholic Radio
- Avila Institute for Spiritual Formation
- EWTN Religious Catalogue – online
- Living the Mystery of Merciful Love: 30 Days with Thérèse of Lisieux by Dr. Anthony Lilles and Dan Burke
- Questions? Send an e-mail to Questions@myavila.com or call 818-646-7729. Please leave your name, location, and question(s).
What is Divine Intimacy Radio?
The Divine Intimacy Radio Show is a haven of rest and wellspring of spiritual life for those seeking intimacy with God and the enlightened path of Catholic mystical and ascetical wisdom.
Every week, Dan Burke and Melissa Elson explore topics related to the interior life and Catholic teaching, including prayer, spiritual direction, meditation, contemplation, and holiness.
Divine Intimacy Radio Show and EWTN!
This radio show can also be heard every Sunday on EWTN Radio Sundays at 6:30 am, 1:30 pm, and 11:00 pm Eastern time. We are grateful to EWTN for their support!
- Please click on the links below to listen to this week’s show! Don’t forget to tell your friends about the show and help us get the word out. Click HERE for mobile devices or on the links below to listen to the show: