If you have been blessed by Divine Intimacy Radio, please help us spread the word by sharing this post on Facebook and with friends through email or other social media.
This new series is focused on traditional themes of Lent with respect to how we orient our hearts and minds to God through mortification, mitigation of appetites and all other manner of cleaning out our spiritual gardens to prepare for God’s indwelling work in, on, and through our souls.
Guest: Dr. Anthony Lilles, Academic Dean of both the Avila Institute and of St. John’s Seminary of the Archdiocese of Los Angeles and specializes in the spiritual doctrine of [Saint] Elizabeth of the Trinity as well as the Carmelite Doctors of the Church.
Dr. Lilles takes us through an overview of appetites as described by St. John of the Cross in his work The Ascent of Mount Carmel.
- St. John refers chiefly to appetites that interfere with our relationship with God (not every appetite or simply our human nature).
- Specific examples of common problems with appetites.
- Steps that St. John of the Cross recommends to overcome the appetites as referenced in his work The Ascent of Mount Carmel.
- In order to overcome the appetites, St. John recommends in his first counsel, to foster in our hearts the habitual desire to imitate Christ in everything that we do by bringing our lives in complete conformity with His by studying the life of Christ.
- Study prayerfully on your knees, not purely academically.
- If we feed our affection, the stronger the desire and movement of the heart becomes. Similarly, if we feed our appetites, those things that are not for the glory of God, we will be more inclined to do those things.
- Renunciation of the appetites brings you the freedom to imitate Christ.
- How do we increase our love of God during Lent? Fasting from food, entertainment, more time spent in prayer, more charitable good works. There is a painfulness in it at first, but then it becomes sweet.
- Act against the impulses that otherwise drive our behavior so that we are free to serve the Lord.
- Our love for Jesus should drive everything we do.
- The Ascent of Mount Carmel, Chapter 13 – St. John of the Cross
- Divine Intimacy by Fr. Gabriel of St. Mary Magdalen – Published by Baronius Press
- Navigating the Interior Life – Spiritual Direction and the Journey to God
- Guide for Examination of Conscience Download
- For call-in questions for future shows 818-646-7729, Please leave your name, location, and question(s).
Don’t forget to tell your friends about the show and help us get the word out. If the show is inspiring to you and you would like to help us make it a daily show, please click here to donate. All donors will receive a signed copy of your choice of Dan’s books, Finding God through Meditation, 30 Days with Teresa of Avila, or Navigating the Interior Life.