Preparing for Lent Part 3
Preparing for Lent Part 3
- Our last episode the discussion focused on preparing for Lent and participating in the sacraments during the Lenten season.
- Began talking about the “Spiritual Self Evaluation” chapter in Navigating the Interior Life.
- Sacraments are the foundation of our relationship with God, and prayer draws us more deeply into the sacraments.
- What is the state of my prayer life?
- Important practices to begin: praying the rosary, mental prayer, examination of conscience.
- Dan mentions his new book coming out Finding God Through Meditation by St. Peter of Alcántara to enhance your prayer life.
- What is your root sin (aka dominant defect, predominant fault, dominant fault)?
- You may follow capital sins listed in Catechism, but in Scripture (1 John 2:16) these sins are bundled into three main categories, which are the basis of the self-evaluation in Navigating the Interior Life.
- Purpose of the self-evaluation – how can we empty ourselves of the things that hinder our love of God and hinder the dwelling of God in us, and fill ourselves with all of those things that draw us closer to Him.
- St. Teresa of Avila, “This body of ours has one fault, the more you indulge it, the more things it discovers to be essential to it.”
- Appetites are insatiable.
- Quotes St. John of the Cross Ascent of Mount Carmel first book, chapter 11, paragraph 4.
- Definitions of the three categories of sin: Pride – excessive love of one’s own excellence or desired excellence. Vanity – excessive concern for and seeking our security in how we are perceived. Sensuality – seeking our security and self-worth in possessions, comfort, or the avoidance of discomfort (real or perceived).
- Example of pride – refusing or resisting assent to others without a satisfactory explanation.
- Example of anger – if I don’t get my way, or I am not taken into account in a particular decision.
- Complete this self-evaluation in front of the Blessed Sacrament.
- Image in book of farmer removing large rocks before he can get to the smaller ones.
- Melissa’s 5 Ways to Prepare for Lent:
- Go through self-evaluation and examination of conscience.
- Go to confession.
- Make a strong commitment to God about your Lenten promises in front of the Blessed Sacrament.
- Make your plan, including prayer, fasting, and almsgiving.
- Pray for the grace to follow through with your commitments.
- Never give up or be discouraged. The enemy is always looking to keep you from God. Never change your spiritual resolution; double-down and try harder. Go to confession if you do fall.
- Offer Mass intentions to fulfill these commitments to the Lord.
- This is not about a checklist. Do not become like the Pharisees, outwardly practicing of faith, but nothing inward.
- In the end, we want God to say, “Well done,” because we have loved Him and because we know Him and He knows us.
- Divine Intimacy by Fr. Gabriel of St. Mary Magdalen – Published by Baronius Press
- Navigating the Interior Life – Spiritual Direction and the Journey to God
- Guide for Examination of Conscience Download
- For call-in questions for future shows 818-646-7729. Please leave your name, location, and question(s).
Click on the links below to listen to the show! Don’t forget to tell your friends about the show and help us get the word out. If the show is inspiring to you and you would like to help us make it a daily show, please click here to donate. All donations of either $5.00 per month or a $50.00 or more one time gift will receive a signed copy of Dan’s book, “Finding God through Meditation” which will be available next month. Click HERE for mobile devices or on the links below to listen to the show: