Preparing for Lent Part 2 – Divine Intimacy Radio
Preparing for Lent Part 2:
Here’s what a recent listener said about the show:
“I just listened to the first Divine Intimacy Radio show. Great job! You and Melissa are a joy to listen to, such nice voices, and the real rapport comes through. I enjoyed her little laughs and your excited speech when you got into answering the calls. It was like listening in on two friends talking which is so nice. The content was great too and I’ll be listening in again. I just wanted to let you know that I think you two did a great job. Thanks for answering God’s call to make this His Work and bring it to life.” Suzanne
Fasting – What are the spiritual benefits continued…
- Appetites – the insatiable nature of our appetites – never can find true satisfaction
- True satisfaction is only found in relationship with God
- Jesus modeled the practice of fasting
- Desire to love God through self-sacrifice
- John of the Cross
- Soul is finite and can’t love God and creation simultaneously
- Attachments limit our spiritual growth
- Illustrations of the impact of attachments – bird and hot air balloon
- The contemplative life requires that we abandon attachments
- Necessity of shedding habitual venial and mortal sin
- We can be free of habitual sin and attachments – it really is possible
- Attachment is an inordinate desire for pleasure
- Faster way through dark night and into the illuminative way – rules for detachment (from Ascent of Mount Carmel)
- Authentic Spiritual disciplines
- Set us free rather than constrain us
- Give us true and lasting joy
- Melissa’s example of the wrong way to prepare for Lent – Sunkist!
- Spiritual self-evaluation using Navigating the Interior Life
- The goal of all spiritual discipline is to know and love God in this life and beyond
- Evaluate sacramental participation (confession, adoration, reconciliation)
- Can we increase our participation in Mass for Lent?
- John of the Cross – every negation is also an affirmation
- Can we increase participation in Adoration?
- Melissa’s experience of the impact of Adoration
- Other practices of self-evaluation from Navigating the Interior Life
- More on Preparing for Lent – the goal is to conclude this series with simple and clear steps to Lenten planning.
- Divine Intimacy by Fr. Gabriel of St. Mary Magdalen – Published by Baronius Press
- Navigating the Interior Life – Spiritual Direction and the Journey to God
- Guide for Examination of Conscience Download
- Questions? Send an e-mail to Questions@myavila.com or call 818-646-7729. Please leave your name, location, and question(s).
Click on the links below to listen to the show! Don’t forget to tell your friends about the show and help us get the word out. If the show is inspiring to you and you would like to help us make it a daily show, please click here to donate. All donations of either $5.00 per month or a $50.00 or more one time gift will receive a signed copy of Dan’s book, “Finding God through Meditation” which will be available next month. Click HERE for mobile devices or on the links below to listen to the show: