Dear Friends – here are the show notes for our second Divine Intimacy Radio Show on the topic of Preparing for Lent:
If you enjoy the show, please give us a good rating on iTunes and share this post or the iTunes show on Facebook and with your friends. We need your help getting the word out!
An interruption in our discussion about spiritual direction which we will return to after Easter…
The name of the show “Divine Intimacy Radio” comes from an incredible work by a Discalced Carmelite priest named Fr. Gabriel of St. Mary Magdalen. It was first published in 1964… reflections for every day of the liturgical year following the pre-conciliar liturgical calendar. This is one of the most extraordinary daily devotional texts ever written. You can find a link for this resource at the bottom of this post under “Resources.”
Shifting from discussion about general spiritual direction to how to prepare for Lent.
Reflection on how the Eastern liturgy and pre-conciliar liturgy in the West can help us to better prepare for Lent.
Five Considerations to Help Us Prepare for Lent:
- We are sinners and we need to acquire a deep consciousness of sin (old introit of Mass): “The groans of death have surrounded me, the pains of hell have laid hold on me.”
- God’s invitation to become a part of his work. It is never too late. You are invited to relationship with him and to know his redemption.
- The Christian life is not a life of ease but hard work.
- During the struggle, the “wreath of victory beckons,” the reward of eternal life is before us.
- Warning – “You are now approaching that which is most sacred: baptism and Eucharist, the heart of the Paschal mystery. Woe unto you, if your life fails to correspond to God’s will; then you will fare as did the fathers in the desert. They too received a baptism and heavenly food, but they died in the wilderness and never saw the Promised Land.”
Call-In Question and Discussion: What are the spiritual benefits of fasting?
- Why do we fast?
- How is Jesus an example of the practice of fasting? (Luke 4:1)
- Why did Jesus fast?
- Why did fasting impact whether or not the disciples could cast out a demon?
- How does fasting help us to orient our hearts toward loving God?
- Divine Intimacy by Fr. Gabriel of St. Mary Magdalen – Published by Baronius Press
- Navigating the Interior Life – Spiritual Direction and the Journey to God
- Questions? Send an e-mail to Questions@myavila.com or call 818-646-7729. Please leave your name, location, and question(s).
Don’t forget to tell your friends about the show and help us get the word out. If the show is inspiring to you and you would like to help us make it a daily show, please click here to donate. All donations of either $5.00 per month or a $50.00 or more one time gift will receive a signed copy of Dan’s book, “Finding God through Meditation” which will be available next month.