Description: Join Dan Burke and Melissa Elson as they speak with Susan Brinkmann about her book A Catholic Guide to Mindfulness to discover the truth about this increasingly popular, but dangerous practice.
Topics/Questions covered in the show:
- Why was it necessary to enlist the help of experts on Eastern religions to write this book?
- What is mindfulness? Where did it originate?
- Can the Buddhist influence on mindfulness be separated from the practice?
- Why do studies show that mindfulness is helpful for stress reduction and anxiety?
- Why were so many of the studies invalid?
- Is this movement financially motivated?
- What are some of the effects of mindfulness?
- Why are Eastern meditative practices so attractive to Western cultures?
- What are some of the differences between Christianity and Buddhism?
- Spiritualdirection.com – website
- Avila Institute for Spiritual Formation
- Sophia Institute Press
- A Catholic Guide to Mindfulness by Susan Brinkmann, OCDS
- Questions? Send an e-mail to Questions@myavila.com or call 818-646-7729. Please leave your name, location, and question(s).
What is Divine Intimacy Radio?
The Divine Intimacy Radio Show is a haven of rest and wellspring of spiritual life for those seeking intimacy with God and the enlightened path of Catholic mystical and ascetical wisdom.
Twice a week, Dan Burke and Melissa Elson explore topics related to the interior life and Catholic teaching. On Tuesdays, they interview various authors about their spiritual books and about the authors’ own insights on those books. On Fridays, they get specific on subjects which, primarily include prayer, spiritual direction, meditation, contemplation, and holiness.
Please click on the links below to listen to today’s show! Don’t forget to tell your friends about the show and help us get the word out. Click HERE for mobile devices or on the links below to listen to the show: