The Brevity of Life, the Glory of Heaven, and the Beauty of Suffering
How can we find encouragement here on earth? Dan, Melissa and Dr. Anthony Lilles discuss the brevity of life, the glory of heaven and the beauty of suffering through the perspective of St. Thérèse of Lisieux.
Topics/Questions covered in the show:
- St. Thérèse responds to her sister, Leonie, about the emotional difficulties accompanying the death of their father, Louis Martin.
- This letter seems to take on a reversal of roles as St. Thérèse is being comforted by her sister instead of being the one to provide comfort to another.
- Thérèse reflects on heaven and the brevity of life.
- Thérèse chooses to see her life from the perspective of the Scriptures and from heaven.
- Heaven is the greatest consolation.
- Why does Thérèse thank God that He has found Leonie worthy to suffer for His love?
- How does suffering make us like Jesus?
- Spiritualdirection.com – website
- EWTN Global Catholic Radio
- Avila Institute for Spiritual Formation
- EWTN Religious Catalogue – online
- Living the Mystery of Merciful Love: 30 Days with Thérèse of Lisieux by Dr. Anthony Lilles and Dan Burke
- Luke 12:32 – Jesus promises the kingdom to His flock – USCCB Bible Link
- John 14:3 – Jesus prepares a place in heaven for the faithful – USCCB Bible Link
- John 17:2 – Jesus prays for His disciples – USCCB Bible Link
- 2 Corinthians 4:17 – Affliction on earth produces glory in heaven – USCCB Bible Link
- Questions? Send an e-mail to Questions@myavila.com or call 818-646-7729. Please leave your name, location and question.
What is Divine Intimacy Radio?
The Divine Intimacy Radio Show is a haven of rest and wellspring of spiritual life for those seeking intimacy with God and the enlightened path of Catholic mystical and ascetical wisdom. Every week, Dan Burke and Melissa Elson explore topics related to the interior life and Catholic teaching, including prayer, spiritual direction, meditation, contemplation, and holiness.
Divine Intimacy Radio Show and EWTN!
This radio show can also be heard every Sunday on EWTN Radio, Sundays at 6:30 am, 1:30 pm, and 11:00 pm Eastern time. We are grateful to EWTN for their support!
Please click on the links below to listen to this week’s show! Don’t forget to tell your friends about the show and help us get the word out. Click HERE for mobile devices or on the links below to listen to the show: