Tolerating Distractions in the Spiritual Life
Description: This week, Dan and Melissa explain how tolerating distractions in the spiritual life can dissuade the enemy from discouraging us in prayer.
Topics/Questions covered in the show:
- It would be unrealistic to believe that we can be free from all distractions in prayer, so we must have strategies to tolerate them.
- How can we “gently” turn our thoughts back to God during prayer?
- The Catechism of the Catholic Church reveals to us that our distractions can uncover our sinful attachments.
- Is perseverance in prayer despite our distractions more meritorious than being without distractions all together?
- What strategies can we use for tolerating distractions in the spiritual life and turn our hearts back to Jesus?
- Spiritualdirection.com – website
- EWTN Global Catholic Radio
- Avila Institute for Spiritual Formation
- EWTN Religious Catalogue – online
- Into the Deep: Finding Peace Through Prayer by Dan Burke
- Catechism of the Catholic Church, Paragraph 2729 – Distractions reveal our attachments (USCCB link)
- Questions? Send an e-mail to Questions@myavila.com or call 818-646-7729. Please leave your name, location, and question(s).
What is Divine Intimacy Radio?
The Divine Intimacy Radio Show is a haven of rest and wellspring of spiritual life for those seeking intimacy with God and the enlightened path of Catholic mystical and ascetical wisdom.
Every week, Dan Burke and Melissa Elson explore topics related to the interior life and Catholic teaching, including prayer, spiritual direction, meditation, contemplation, and holiness.
Divine Intimacy Radio Show and EWTN!
This radio show can also be heard every Sunday on EWTN Radio Sundays at 6:30 am, 1:30 pm, and 11:00 pm Eastern time. We are grateful to EWTN for their support!
Click on the links below to listen to the show! Don’t forget to tell your friends about the show and help us get the word out. Click HERE for mobile devices or on the links below to listen to the show: