Starting a Prayer Routine
Want to start a new prayer routine? Dan and Melissa answer a listener’s question on starting a prayer routine. Join them as they offer suggestions on developing a prayer habit and reflect on the book Finding God Through Meditation by St Peter of Alcántara.
Topics/Questions covered in the show:
- How can I begin a new prayer life if I’ve never successfully established a daily habit?
- How long does it take for a practice to become a habit?
- Why is prayer considered an ascesis?
- Three key points to developing a prayer habit: clarity, community, and accountability.
- How does vocal prayer lead to mental prayer?
- Why does the enemy care about our prayer life?
- Finding God Through Meditation – St. Peter of Alcántara
- Finding God Through Meditation ebook – St. Peter of Alcántara
- Avila Institute for Spiritual Formation
- Catechism of the Catholic Church – Part 4: Christian Prayer
- The Interior Castle Study Edition
- Luke 11:1-4 – “He was praying in a certain place, and when he had finished, one of his disciples said to him, “Lord, teach us to pray just as John taught his disciples.”” – The Lord’s Prayer, USCCB Bible link
- Matthew 6:5-8 – Teaching About Prayer – USCCB Bible link
- Lectio Divina, A Guide: What It Is & How It Helps Prayer Life – Post on spiritual direction.com
- The Way of Perfection – St. Teresa of Avila. Contains her explication of The Lord’s Prayer
- If Only You Knew…Saint Teresa and the Waters of Prayer – post on spiritual direction.com
- The Book of Her Life – Teresa of Avila
- Catechism of the Catholic Church – Prologue. I. The life of man – to know and love God
- James 4:8 – “Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you of two minds.” – USCCB Bible link
- 1 Thessalonians 5:23 – “May the God of peace himself make you perfectly holy and may you entirely, spirit, soul, and body, be preserved blameless for the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.” – USCCB Bible link
- Questions? Send an e-mail to Questions@myavila.com or call 818-646-7729. Please leave your name, location and question(s).
Don’t forget to tell your friends about the show and help us get the word out. If the show is inspiring to you and you would like to help us make it a daily show, please click here to donate. All donors will receive a signed copy of your choice of Dan’s books: Finding God through Meditation, 30 Days with Teresa of Avila, or Navigating the Interior Life.