Entering into Holy Week
Holy Week, the most important week of the liturgical year, is upon us. To help us prepare, Dan and Melissa discuss some of the ways we can orient our hearts to this most holy season.
- Regardless of how well (or poorly) you have maintained your Lenten commitments, it’s not too late. Matthew 20:1-16, Parable of the Workers in the Vineyard, tells us that God’s grace is available to everyone – even though none of us are deserving.
- Going “all in” for Jesus during Holy Week. Mary did in Mark 14:3 – the Anointing at Bethany. “She broke the alabaster jar” – it’s all for Jesus. Also, the Martha and Mary story (Luke 10:38-42) where “Mary has chosen the better part”.
- Suggestions for entering into Holy Week:
- Get to confession.
- Learn and participate in the liturgy of Holy Week. Schedule liturgical activities ahead of time. Don’t try to squeeze Holy Week events around your regular activities.
- Use good meditation materials. (see resources)
- Stations of the Cross – remember our own participation in His suffering. Recommend versions by St. Alphonsus Liguori or St. Francis of Assisi. Consider doing stations by yourself.
- Watch Mel Gibson’s film The Passion of the Christ.
- Guide to the Liturgy of Holy Week: the-liturgy-of-holy-week
- Finding God Through Meditation – St. Peter of Alcántara (Edited by Dan Burke)
- Divine Intimacy by Fr. Gabriel of St. Mary Magdalen – Published by Baronius Press
- In Conversation with God – Fr. Francis Fernández Carvajal
- The Better Part – Fr. John Bartunek
- Prayers of St. Bridget of Sweden
- Questions? Send an e-mail to Questions@myavila.com or call 818-646-7729. Please leave your name, location, and question(s).
What is Divine Intimacy Radio?
The Divine Intimacy Radio Show is a haven of rest and wellspring of spiritual life for those seeking intimacy with God and the enlightened path of Catholic mystical and ascetical wisdom. Every week, Dan Burke and Melissa Elson explore topics related to the interior life and Catholic teaching, including prayer, spiritual direction, meditation, contemplation, and holiness.
Divine Intimacy Radio Show and EWTN!
This radio show can also be heard every Sunday on EWTN Radio, Sundays at 6:30 am, 1:30 pm, and 11:00 pm Eastern time. We are grateful to EWTN for their support!