Description: What happened to traditional hymns during Mass and why are they so important? Dan and Melissa speak with Fr. George Rutler about his book The Stories of Hymns: The History Behind 100 of Christianity’s Greatest Hymns to find out.
Topics/Questions covered in the show:
- What is the meaning and significance of the hymn, “O Come, O Come Emmanuel”?
- What is the difference between a hymn and other types of songs?
- Are translations of the lyrics important?
- How does hymnody add more beauty to the liturgy?
- What are some common “mistakes” made in modern times with regard to music in the liturgy?
Resources for today’s show:
- Spiritualdirection.com – website
- Avila Institute for Spiritual Formation
- Sophia Institute Press
- The Stories of Hymns by Fr. George Rutler
- Questions? Send an e-mail to Questions@myavila.com or call 818-646-7729. Please leave your name, location, and question(s).
What is Divine Intimacy Radio?
The Divine Intimacy Radio Show is a haven of rest and wellspring of spiritual life for those seeking intimacy with God and the enlightened path of Catholic mystical and ascetical wisdom.
Twice a week, Dan Burke and Melissa Elson explore topics related to the interior life and Catholic teaching. On Tuesdays, they delve into various resources for growth in the spiritual life, including interviewing authors who speak about the spiritual writing they’ve done. On Fridays, they get specific on subjects which, primarily include prayer, spiritual direction, meditation, contemplation, and holiness.
Please click on the links below to listen to today’s show! Don’t forget to tell your friends about the show and help us get the word out. Click HERE for mobile devices or on the links below to listen to the show: