6 Things Necessary for Prayer
What does St Peter of Alcántara think are the 6 things necessary for prayer? How can we use the six things to begin a daily prayer routine? Listen as Dan and Melissa list and explain these six things, and continue their discussion of the book Finding God Through Meditation by St Peter of Alcántara.
Topics/Questions covered in the show:
- What are some ways to get through the difficult beginning period of developing a daily prayer routine?
- Creative ways to pray when you are physically or mentally tired.
- How can we prepare our mind and soul for prayer?
- What does St Peter recommend we read after we prepare for prayer?
- What are some things to meditate on when beginning a daily prayer routine?
- How to incorporate thanksgiving into a prayer routine.
- What does affective meditation look like?
- Oblation – What can we offer to God as a sacrifice?
- Petition – Putting our desires before God.
- Finding God Through Meditation – St. Peter of Alcántara
- Finding God Through Meditation ebook – St. Peter of Alcántara
- Avila Institute for Spiritual Formation
- 30 Days with Teresa of Avila – Dan Burke and Anthony Lilles
- Pray As You Go – website provides assistance with daily prayer
- Your Advice to Young Mothers Regarding Prayer? – post on SpiritualDirection.com
- EWTN Religious Catalogue – online
- Centering Prayer’s Misunderstanding of Contemplation – post on SpiritualDirection.com
- The Divine Praises – prayer
- Lectio Divina, A Guide: What It Is & How It Helps Prayer Life – Post on Spiritual Direction.com
- John 4:4-42 – The Samaritan Woman (The Woman at the Well) – USCCB Bible link
- John 11:1-44 – The Raising of Lazarus – USCCB Bible link
- Luke 19:1-10 – Zacchaeus the Tax Collector – USCCB Bible link
- Affective Meditation Defined – Navigating the Interior Life – post on SpiritualDirection.com
- The Four Waters of Prayer, Part II of II – Post on SpiritualDirection.com by the Carmelite Sisters of the Most Sacred Heart of Los Angeles
- 1 Thessalonians 5:23 – “May the God of peace himself make you perfectly holy and may you entirely, spirit, soul, and body, be preserved blameless for the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.” – USCCB Bible link
- Questions? Send an e-mail to Questions@myavila.com or call 818-646-7729. Please leave your name, location, and question(s).
Click on the links below to listen to the show! Don’t forget to tell your friends about the show and help us get the word out. If the show is inspiring to you and you would like to help us make it a daily show, please click here to donate. All donors will receive a signed copy of your choice of Dan’s books: Finding God through Meditation, 30 Days with Teresa of Avila, or Navigating the Interior Life. Click HERE for mobile devices or on the links below to listen to the show: