The Prayer of Quiet
30 Days with Teresa of Avila
Day 27, Part 1 Reflections
Divine Intimacy Radio
St. Teresa continues her discussion with her brother, Lorenzo, on physical mortification and addresses his questions about transitioning into contemplative prayer. Dan and Melissa discuss “the prayer of quiet” and confronting temptations as they reflect on letters from St. Teresa in the book 30 Days with Teresa of Avila.
Topics/Questions covered in the show:
- What is “the discipline” and why is it used?
- How much physical mortification is too much?
- The role of the Holy Spirit in physical ascetical practices.
- What is “the prayer of quiet”?
- How does a devout soul transition into contemplative prayer?
- Recognizing an increase in holiness within the soul.
- Addressing temptations during prayer as advised by St. Ignatius.
- 30 Days with Teresa of Avila – Dan Burke and Anthony Lilles
- Dr. Anthony Lilles
- Avila Institute – Link
- Navigating the Interior Life – by Dan Burke
- Prayer of Quiet – New Advent Link
- The Discipline – Catholic Culture Link
- The Way of Perfection (Study Edition) – by Teresa of Avila
- The Interior Castle Study Edition (Institute of Carmelite Studies) – by Teresa of Avila
- Spiritual Exercises – by Ignatius of Loyola
- https://spiritualdirection.com – Catholic Spiritual Direction website
- 1 Corinthians 9:27 – USCCB Bible link “I drive (or buffet) my body and train it.”
- Pilgrimage 2016 to Avila with Dan Burke and Teresa Tomeo – Link
- To send questions about the 2016 Pilgrimage to Avila, click here: Questions@myavila.com
- For Call in questions for future shows 818-646-7729. Please leave your name, location, and question(s).
Don’t forget to tell your friends about the show and help us get the word out. If the show is inspiring to you and you would like to help us make it a daily show, please click here to donate. All donors will receive a signed copy of your choice of Dan’s books: Finding God through Meditation, 30 Days with Teresa of Avila, or Navigating the Interior Life.