Obstacles to Prayer
30 Days with Teresa of Avila
Reflections on Day 11
Why are we tempted to stop praying, and what are the consequences of doing so? Dan and Melissa share some of St. Teresa of Avila’s thoughts on these topics as documented in her letters from the book 30 Days with Teresa of Avila.
Topics/Questions covered in the show:
- Where does the temptation to stop praying come from?
- What are the biggest obstacles to prayer and how can we overcome them?
- How is prayer connected to our salvation?
- The secret to perseverance in prayer – St. Teresa has some practical advice.
- St. Teresa’s experience with false humility and how it kept her from prayer.
- What are the benefits of keeping a daily prayer routine?
- 30 Days with Teresa of Avila – Dan Burke and Anthony Lilles
- Dr. Anthony Lilles – https://spiritualdirection.com/author/dr-lilles
- SpiritualDirection.com Book Club
- Navigating the Interior Life by Dan Burke – Dan Burke
- The Autobiography of St. Teresa of Avila – Translated by David Lewis
- The Interior Castle: St. Teresa of Avila – Translated by the Benedictines of Stanbrook
- Finding God Through Meditation – St. Peter of Alcantara
- http://avila-institute.org – The Avila Institute for Spiritual Formation
- For Call in questions for future shows 818-646-7729 — please leave your name, location, and question.
- Don’t forget to tell your friends about the show and help us get the word out. If the show is inspiring to you and you would like to help us make it a daily show, please click here to donate. All donors will receive a signed copy of your choice of Dan’s new books: Finding God through Meditation, 30 Days with Teresa of Avila, or Navigating the Interior Life.