Centering Prayer (i.e. Keating, Menninger, Herington)
Though this blog is primarily dedicated to positive teachings the spiritual life, from time to time there are issues that must be addressed that are not so positive. For in your in-depth review, we have provided links to several articles that address the challenges with “Centering” prayer.
Though many attest that they have benefited from centering prayer (and have not necessarily sinned in so doing); those who were influenced by historic heresies often made the same positive claims (e.g. Quietism etc.). It is also clear that the fundamental desire of many who have fallen into Centering prayer is an honest search for a deeper relationship with Christ.
However, truth is not determined by experience and intention alone, but also by external objective reality – particularly when the magisterium of the Church has spoken on the matter. Accordingly we have also included links from the Vatican and other faithful sources.
If you desire to understand the truth, depth, and riches of a profound prayer life and relationship with Christ, see the books we recommend on this site regarding true Christian Contemplation and Meditation (i.e. The Better Part, Fire Within, The Fulfillment of All Desire, etc.). One thing to remember, if we accept the definitions and teaching of the Church and it’s Saints and doctors on the matter, “Centering” prayer (whatever the claims or beliefs may be) is NOT the same as “Contemplation.”
- THE DANGER OF CENTERING PRAYER: Catholic Education Resource Center
- LETTER TO THE BISHOPS OF THE CATHOLIC CHURCH ON SOME ASPECTS OF CHRISTIAN MEDITATION: Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith
- NEW AGE AND THE CATHOLIC CHURCH (8 Part Series) : Colorado Catholic Herald
- A CALL TO VIGILANCE (Pastoral Instruction on New Age) : Archbishop Norberto Rivera Carrera
- CENTERING PRAYER MEETS THE VATICAN : Catholic Culture
- THE HERESY OF QUIETISM : New Advent
- A CLOSER LOOK AT CENTERING PRAYER : Catholic Culture
please consider supporting our mission with a donation!